Re: variable declaration

From: Philippe C . D . Robert
Subject: Re: variable declaration
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 17:47:31 +0200

On Monday, October 21, 2002, at 04:12  Uhr, Nicola Pero wrote:
First let me say that I think this 'feature' is a step backwards, but
now it is here and ppl will use it (esp. those working on MOSX), so I
think we should have an official statement from the GNUstep maintainers
in this respect which clearly defines the way to go...

I think Adam already stated that :-)

Not really, he said:

"If you mean the guideline for GNUstep code, I'd rather not use it. Call me backward, but I still use a 2.95 compiler on a few of my systems :-)"

So this means there is a suggestion not to use the feature, but no real guideline.

You can do what you want in your code. It's a matter of coding standards
after all, and you are master of your code. :-)

Yes, of course you are right, but it will lead to confusion, I am pretty sure...:-)

But the GNUstep core libraries should compile with 2.x compilers as well
(there are people with 2.x compilers still around ... I do), so they
should stick to a syntax that both 2.x and 3.x compilers accept. :-)

So we have to face this. Why then not mention this issue somewhere on a GNUstep web page (FAQ)? This belongs into the same category as questions like "can I use Apple's ObjC runtime w/ GNUstep" and so on, I guess...

-Phil
--
Philippe C.D. Robert
http://www.nice.ch/~phip