Re: NSThread load balancing

From: Philippe C . D . Robert
Subject: Re: NSThread load balancing
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 20:03:45 +0100

On Monday, December 16, 2002, at 03:46  Uhr, Stefan Böhringer wrote:
Hello,

in a DO application I detach many threads for which I need to measure
resource consumption to balance system load.
NSThread unfortunately doesn't supply any information about cpu/mem
usage nor seems there be a possibility to exit a NSThread by force.

Use DO to tell a thread to exit...

I would propose to add a GNUstep specific function that leaks internal
data structures about the thread on which system calls could be
performed to get the required information.

Any suggestions/corrections welcome.

Why not use the worker thread to collect problem specific information (stats, timers, ...) and let the controller thread (app) decide upon the optimal number of threads and so on?

-Phil
--
Philippe C.D. Robert
http://www.nice.ch/~phip