Re: ANNOUNCE : HelpViewer 0.1

From: Björn Giesler
Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE : HelpViewer 0.1
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 17:33:50 +0100

Hi,

On Monday 20 January 2003 16:44, Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf wrote:
> Am Montag den, 20. Januar 2003, um 13:40, schrieb Andreas Heppel:
> > My question is where activateContextHelpMode would be called, i.e. do I
> > provide a menu entry such as 'Context Help F1' or maybe something else.
> > I wonder whether there is a 'standardised' *Step way of achieving this.
>
> On Mac OS X is it implemented this way: If you are in a Cocoa App and
> press the "help" button on the keyboard the mousecursor changes into a
> question mark.

I think that would be a very nice thing to have. Since there's no "Help" key
on a standard PC keyboard, could F1 be used for that? (and perhaps Command-F1
for popping up HelpViewer with the app's help file)

The API is such that you specify context help for objects, and the Apple doc
says that "Typically, you use Interface Builder to associate
context-sensitive help with an object". Personally, I'd prefer writing a
context help file (I like Nicolas's format) with parts for all objects, that
would be opened in Help Viewer. That requires to be able to refer to objects
by name or tag. Is that possible?

Regards,
                --Björn
--
Dipl.-Inform. Björn Giesler, IAIM, University of Karlsruhe (TH)
See http://wwwiaim.ira.uka.de/users/giesler for information.

A society that will trade a little freedom for a little order will
lose both, and deserves neither.    --T. Jefferson
Support privacy. Mail me for my PGP/GPG public key.