-gui and ffcall/ffi

From: Thomas Cherryhomes
Subject: -gui and ffcall/ffi
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 09:56:01 -0600

I had a noted absence from GNUstep, which was punctuated by GNUstep's inability,
for a time, to run on my Gentoo installation.

However, in the last few days, thanks to the help of Alex Malmberg, I have found
the answer to the problem:

-gui will not function properly without ffcall/ffi due to the use of distributed
objects to glue parts of -gui together.

we need to decide what to do with ffcall/ffi... is it required or not?
Apparently, it seems that -base and -gui will compile just fine without ffcall,
but -gui apps will fail miserably when starting to load. (DO ports invalidating
because gdnc and gpbs can't function.)..

I suggested that ffcall should now be a requirement. Alex suggested that we
should put a flag in base that allows one to override the requirement of ffcall
from base.

Thoughts?

-Thom