Re: NSMenu* and NSPopuUp* issues

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: NSMenu* and NSPopuUp* issues
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 12:45:13 +0100

On Tuesday, April 8, 2003, at 11:24  am, David Ayers wrote:

BTW. you also did break the comaptibility of the encoding/decoding code. I am not sure if this gets used for the popup, otherwise this wont do a harm.

 Is there a real harm? Did anybody claim for problems with it?

The problem with NSCoding and backward compatibility is that you won't notice until it is too late. If anyone developing with current gnustep-cvs saves a nib file now, that nib file will not be able to be used by other people using the latest -gui release. I think changes in encoding/decoding of core classes should always be prominantly posted, so that anyone developing apps using archives can be aware of it. And I also believe that archives should always be kept backward compatible to at least the latest official release.

Yes ... the NSCoder stuff provides mechanisms to maintain backwards compatibility, and these should *always* be used. Newer versions of the gui *must* be able to load files generated by older versions, if they don't it's a *major* bug.

I haven't looked into how it is broke, but please fix it, and then ask all app maintainers to update thier nibs which they have saved since it was broken, before they announce an official release, if they use gnustep cvs.

Assuming it actually is broken (I haven't checked personally) I emphatically agree.

About the general menu issue, I don't like horizontal menus but I believe that if people want them we should keep them ... the issue of *how* that's done (main library code or bundle) I leave to people more familiar with the current menu code.