Releasing objects declared in method?

From: Albert Chun-Chieh Huang
Subject: Releasing objects declared in method?
Date: 10 May 2003 19:57:35 +0800

Dear all,
    If this is an FAQ, please forgive me. I really can't find
information.

    My question is how to perform memory management efficiently for
temporary objects declared in method? For example:
- aTrivialMethod {
    id tmpObject;

    tmpObject = [[NSMutableArray arrayWithCapacity: 8]
initWithCapacity: 8];

    [tmpObject addObject: something];

    return [tmpObject count];
}

    Questions:
1. Do I need to release tmpObject *explicitly*?
2. If I need to release it, when and how?
3. If I need to release it before the method ends, does it mean that I
can't use "return [tmpObject count]" statement?

    Thanks for your reply.

Best Regards,
Chun-Chieh Huang
--
Chun-Chieh Huang, aka Albert   | E-mail: jjhuang AT cm.nctu.edu.tw
黃俊傑                         |