trouble with configure in solaris

From: Sriram Srinivasan
Subject: trouble with configure in solaris
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 15:24:46 -0700 (PDT)

I'm trying to install GNUstep on my machine.

when I run configure I get the following error:

checking for C compiler default output... cat: cannot
open conftest.c

my machine is:
SunOS 5.8 Generic_108528-15 sun4u sparc
SUNW,Ultra-5_10

It seems like the "cat >conftest.$ac_ext" etc etc
never produces the conftest.c file in the first place!
... because when I look at config.log file I find
this:

gcc2: conftest.c: No such file or directory
gcc2: No input files

Can someone please help?  Is there something that I'm
missing (some options to configure or some env.
variable)?

thanx,
\Sriram\