Re: My GWorkspace feature request

From: Nicolas Roard
Subject: Re: My GWorkspace feature request
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 13:17:50 +0100

On 2003-06-19 11:59:41 +0000 Raffael Herzog <herzog-lists@raffael.ch> wrote:

Please, don't repeat the mistakes all the others do. KDE and GNOME broke their
UIs to imitate Windoze. Apple broke the NeXT UI to a certain extent to imitate
the good old Macintosh. Let's not break GNUstep's UI to imitate whatever.

I agree...

*If* we introduce context menus, then this should be something for advanced users who
know the application very well. But all the functionality should be availabe without
using them. Using an application shouldn't be a "find the right context menu"
adventure game, IMHO.

Well, yes, *all* the functionalities of the contextual menus should be available
in a more straighforward way, like the standard menu.
But contextual menus are interessting to use anyway, as they are a good way
of regrouping actions for a specific object. The policy should be that the
actions in contextual menus *must* be available
somewhere else, and not only via contextual menu. And yes, they are more
an "advanced user" feature; but that doesn't means they are not interessting.

I didn't know that this context menu in GWorkspace exists and I never missed
it. In the seldom cases I want to open a file using a tool different to the
default one, I just take the straight-forward way: Open the tools inspector and
choose the tool there. And I'll most probably continue to do so since I need
this very seldomly, so I probably won't remember the context menu the next time
I'm in such a situation.

It's also a recent addition to GWorkspace..

--
Nicolas Roard