WebCore Porting

From: Stefan Kleine Stegemann
Subject: WebCore Porting
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 19:33:32 +0200

Hi,

i just wanted to notice you that I started porting Apples WebCore to GNUstep about two weeks ago. As far as i can tell now, work progresses rapidly. Currently 46 Classes are ported, some are tested. JavaScriptCore compiles and the test runs without errors. Most of the KWQ classes can be ported by copying and outsourcing the Objective-C Parts but i think the hard part is porting the bridge classes that are used to provide an Objective-C Interface to khtml since these are a real heavy mixture of C++ and Objective-C. Another point is that the devoplers mixed Carbon and Cocoa in some classes which is somewhat awkward. When i have the time (and if someone is interested in) i
will setup a webpage to monitor the porting status.

Work on ViewIt also continues. I expect the next release in two or three weeks when i'am back from holidays. It will contain a first (alpha) version of a ghostscript-independent PDF renderer
and keyboard navigation.

ciao
Stefan