Re: Crash upon creating a new app project

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Crash upon creating a new app project
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2003 15:12:07 +0200

Philippe C.D. Robert wrote:
when I try to create a new "Application" project using ProjectCenter I get an exception because the returned title of the selected popup in the save panel (accessory view) is nil (which is in fact not true). Now this only happens when the popup is not selected beforehand, when selecting another type first and then switching back to "Application" again everything works as expected.

This problem is still there with the latest GNUstep version. What happens is that ProjectCenter asks the type popup button for its selected item and as the user has no selected anything and the application did also not select any entry, the popup button does return nil. Which than ProjectCenter cannot handle.

This is fairly simple and in itself looks correct. What makes the case more complicated is that a user can not tell if the popup already has some entry selected, it even appears as if the first entry would be selected, as this is shown as the title of the pop up.
The question here is what MacOSX or OpenStep do in this case?
According to the documentation I would regard selection and title as being to independent but conntect concepts for popups. See the comments on the method synchronizeTitleAndSelectedItem. If somebody could please test the real behaviour, I am willing to correct the popup code. But saying that GNUstep used to behave that way previously is not enough.

For ProjectCenter it would surely by the easiest and savest thing to do to select the first entry of the popup.

Cheers
Fred