Re: newbie, XMPP framework

From: mikko.varri
Subject: Re: newbie, XMPP framework
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 23:11:54 +0200

Hi,

I started writing XMMP framework last summer. I stopped for two reasons: (1)
XMPP Core and XMPP IM were drafts and (2) I started my exchange year in
England. Now that I've settled down here and XMPP papers are getting ready, I
have decided to continue on my project. I should have something usable for
initial release in January.

I first meant to write a whole client (called "Stabber"), but then thought
that maybe someone else would do a better job with the GUI part.

As for the XML backed, I use GSXML (SAX interface). It's quite good enough,
given that I only need to read in the XML and make the objects from that.
Objects themselves can then create the XML for sending. I don't want to
expose the application programmer to XML. They don't need to know about the
protocol that much (although, it will help, as always).

Similarly, I think this enables application programmer to implement more
protocols, if she wishes to do that. After all, messages in general are quite
similar in different protocols (just look at the draft-ietf-xmpp-cpim-03, for
example).

Cheers,
Mikko Varri (mikko.varri -at- iglu.net)