Re: GNUstep and 256 colors.

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: GNUstep and 256 colors.
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 12:54:12 +0100

on 12/11/03 4:53 PM, Marko Riedel at markoriedelde@yahoo.de wrote:

> /*
> * This block of code should be totally portable as it uses the
> * 'official' X mechanism for converting from pixel values to
> * RGB color values - on the downside, it's very slow.
> */
>

> You might have to make a case that there still are enough pseudocolor
> visuals out there to make fixing this worthwhile.

There are! I didn't remember reading this thread, howewer, at least, I
understand the problem better right now.
Almost all unix workstation I had to mess up with that are some years old
have 256 color cards. Maybe 2d accelerated, but 8bit (sun GX/TGX is maybe
the most popular, but hp's pa9000 follow the same path)

Alsom the problem skyrockets when exporting to a 256 color display while
locally, on a fast computer things are almost unusable.

Thanks to Adam's patch which makes images appear on 256 colors, GNUstep is
now almost usable on those older boxes when equipped with enough ram . Maybe
asking for dithering would be too much from what I grasped of the look-up
mechanism.

-Ric