Re: NSToolbar (was Re: Portability/Compatability between GNUstep<---> Co

From: Jason Clouse
Subject: Re: NSToolbar (was Re: Portability/Compatability between GNUstep<---> Cocoa...)
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 21:21:26 -0500

On 2004-01-13 07:55:00 -0500 Jeff Teunissen <deek@d2dc.net> wrote:
NSToolBar isn't something you can "just not use"; it changes the stuff
that's already there,

Stick it in the PortabilityKit.  Case closed.

and even if you disregard the changes to NSWindow's
APIs it's pretty disgusting from a *step-ish point of view.

Fine. But I've been heavily promoting GNUstep far and wide. People are interested but are primarily interested in the ability to write software for both OS X and other platforms. These are Apple programmers who like to use the toolbar, sheets, and drawers. When something is poorly designed, they should have better options (ie. we should come up with better designs and publish them separately as an OS X and GNUstep framework). But they should also have the ability to take their already existing code and build it with GNUstep, whether it's disgusting or not.

A toolbar class would be just fine with me, and I'd support its addition
wholeheartedly. I won't use it (bad UI design)

Just to add a little sweetness and light to this discussion, I'll go ahead and agree with this. I don't toolbars them much either from a usability standpoint.