Re: NSToolbar (was Re: Portability/Compatability between GNUstep<---> Co

From: Banlu Kemiyatorn
Subject: Re: NSToolbar (was Re: Portability/Compatability between GNUstep<---> Cocoa...)
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 19:11:38 +0700

On 2004-01-14 17:22:02 +0700 Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf
<Lars.Sonchocky-Helldorf@bbdo-interone.de> wrote:

O.k. I see you are asserting some things. But can you also substantiate? Can you give some facts to prove your claims? (I don't mean this rethorical, I _really_ want to know, because) I have an oposite opinion: Keeping GNUstep as close as possible to Cocoa ensures the interest of (open source (see sourceforge)) Cocoa developers and helps porting Apps to GNUstep (or do you just prefer the other direction GNUstep -> Cocoa?). I think Apple will never

In my opinion, this is misguiding. I don't think most of Cocoa developers
has any attention to make their app portable to GNUstep. (only a few of them
would)
Additions would be fine if it won't degrade the unity of the programming style.
Which I personally believe that OpenStep has already proved that. But I'd
like to see this (NSToolBar) been voted. And I'd vote to keep it away at some
point
and make a proper GSToolBar.

release Cocoa for open source Unixes (like *BSD or Linux) even other comercial Unixes are unlikely and nobody has heard of a planned release of Cocoa for Windows (despite the hordes of Cocoa developers pleading for it). How should this lead to a "perpetual obsolescence for GNUstep" when such a lot of Cocoa developers are eagerly looking for a cross platform possibility for their code? Please enlighten me!

If the cross platform is really important, they should port their code to
GNUstep if that's worthed it. ie. They should replace their NSToolBar
with GSToolBar. Do not use anything that isn't portable. So I meant,
Cocoa developers mostly never take portability as a priorities. If they
are very concerned of that, They won't use Mac in first place. But I hope
I was wrong.

Oh, I understand! You are the holder of the ultimative and universal truth! I bow low before you!

People can strongly believe in something. And being childish by saying that
phrase is welcome because it actually made me laugh at you. Thanks.

Who did the research? You? Or were it NeXT and Apple? Which company was it to publish "Human Interface Guidelines" for their OS first?

Btw. somebody already pointed out that toolbars have been part of the NeXT Interface ever since (even NSToolbar as private class)

I think Deek has stated it clear that NSToolBar isn't an interface issue
{indeed,
it is, (NS) tool bar was born to be a bad interface - note that I put NS because
I am not against Adobe-like toolbars that much} but technical issue.

Woah!
id.