Application roles - first steps

From: Stefan Urbanek
Subject: Application roles - first steps
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 21:37:55 +0100

Hi,

I appreciate all comments about application roles. But... what about KISS from
the beginning? :-) Hey, I did not meant something too complicated (at this
time). Of course, there are plenty things that can be done with roles and can
be very usefult.

What about starting with basic support for loght-weightet roles and see how
they will get into use? Then we can think of more advanced features. My
sugestion is this very simple introduction (steps) of roles into GNUstep:

1. Define a .plist key for default application role. NSApplicationRole?
2. Add support to GWorkspace with displaying application name as:
(configurable) Mozilla.app, Mozilla (Web Browser), Web Browser (Mozilla), Web
Browser. The option with 'role' at some place should be default for promotional
purposes (others will see, that there is something like that).
3. Wait for application developers to add single line into their Info.plists

Then we can see whether it was good idea or not and after that we can think
about further steps with application roles. I know, there are just very few
applications for GNUstep, but eventhough some of them have names that do not
say anything about what the application does (even mine Farmer.app :-).

What do you think? (Enrico? :-)

Best regards,

Stefan Urbanek

P.S.: Too complicated idea is more difficult to incorporate and understand.
Simple can grow and adapt easier to ones needs. I have no doubt, that later we
an have good kind of role based system.
--
http://stefan.agentfarms.net

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you
win.
- Mahatma Gandhi