Re: Longhorn Killer

From: Rogelio Serrano
Subject: Re: Longhorn Killer
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 06:46:39 -0800 (PST)

--- Gregory John Casamento <greg_casamento@yahoo.com> wrote:

--- Rogelio Serrano <rogelio@smsglobal.net> wrote:

> On 2004-03-22 12:04:20 +0800 Gregory John Casamento
> <greg_casamento@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > 1. 99% of the general public ( including some technical people
> > ) are not
> > willing to learn anything new unless they absolutely must.
> > 4. Given a set of technologies, the worst one of the group
> > will almost always
> > prevail since it is understandable to the lowest common
> > denominator of people
> > (see rule #1).

I was applying these to Windows, BTW, not to GNUstep or Linux. :)   Just so you
guys know.

> Thats a marketing issue. Most of the users in the US and Europe
> are entrenched in MS. But thats only a small fraction of the
> worlds population. Most of the users in SEA use pirated MS
> software.
>
> Whats lacking in GNUstep to take on Longhorn when it comes put
> in 2006? We have about a year more to do it. Dennis Leeuw and
> Chad Hardin seems to be on the way to doing it.

Linux and a host of other free operating systems have not been able to do this
in a decade and a half.

GJC

[snip]

I think things have changed a little in favor of us this time that we might be
able to. A year to make the most out of what is existing and start the ball
rolling.