Re: Installation check

From: Dennis Leeuw
Subject: Re: Installation check
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 10:55:58 +0200

GNUstep requires a two stage setup before all is fine:
1) Start the daemons gdomap, gdnc, gnustep-soundd, which should be started at system boot. You could use the supplied script or write distro-specific version.

2) The setup of the user environment which starts gpbs and sources the variables needed (GNUstep.sh).

The Guide provides you with two scripts that do just that. There are however a lot of different ways of doing esp. step 2. This is just one way, that almost always works. But we are talking about Un*x like systems, so there are almost an infinite way of doing things.

If you start an app and the system daemons are not running they will be started for you, but you shouldn't rely on that for a well maintained system, so the startup script should be there.

Same goes for gpbs, sourcing the GNUstep.sh script is mostly enough, bit will be started if an app detects that it not running. But again you shouldn't rely on that functionality.

Happy Stepping,

Dennis Leeuw

Charles Kerr wrote:

Ok, I am confused. I am sourceing the /usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh

My question was on the startup scripts the doc I referenced stated, but I didn't see in the install web page docs. The boot and X startup ones. Are they still needed?