Re: spatial finder

From: Larry Coleman
Subject: Re: spatial finder
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 03:54:40 -0700 (PDT)

--- Björn_Giesler <giesler@ira.uka.de> wrote:

> Most people using Nautilus (or Linux, for that
> matter) are geeks and
> proto-geeks. This class of people has notoriously
> little knowledge of
> good UI design.

My experience in nine years developing software for a
living is that users have even less knowledge of good
UI design.

What works best for me is determining what users need,
as opposed to what they say they want, and giving them
that instead.

I think we also need to make a distinction between
"easy to use" and "easy to learn to use." Mac OS
classic, OS X and Windows XP are all easy to learn to
use. Unix is easy to use once you get past the
learning curve. It would be worthwhile to talk about
how we can achieve the best of both worlds.

Larry Coleman
larryliberty@yahoo.com