Re: GNUstep Icons and look proposal

From: Nicolas Roard
Subject: Re: GNUstep Icons and look proposal
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 17:22:06 +0100

Le 21 août 04, à 16:16, M. Uli Kusterer a écrit :

I guess we mean the same thing here. What I basically want is a list in
the icon design guidelines containing all icons you can get out of
IconKit. This would include both the "standard" icons and the ones
IconKit will create for you if you don't provide them (and the latter
should be in a separate list so developers know they are 'allowed' to
provide their own versions for those, while they shouldn't use their own
folder icons).

 Or if it's not in the guidelines, make sure the headers contain
comments which icons are composited as needed and can be replaced, and
which are intended to be used unmodified (i.e. are "standard" icons).
otherwise people will be unsure about which icons they should replace
for a better look-and-feel, and which ones they're expected to use
without changing.

 Does that clarify what I mean?

Hm, well, the list is in the chapter 8 ... but yes, we probably should also add a list for the eventual "graphic elements" one could use and another for the icons that could automatically be created by IconKit (and probably with a
short description of the process or better, a graphical example).

 Maybe we should come up with some terminology to make sure everyone
knows what others are talking about: There are "standard icons" (your
term), which are the ones IconKit provides and which should always be
used unmodified.

Yes. I should add that, for the programmer, it's just a matter of using a special name -- the "physical" icon itself could possibly be changed (icons themes).

In addition to theses standard icons... we probably also want some
"icons elements" that could be used by the developer to create icons
(yet keeping the consistency, which will stay even with an icon theme, as
IconKit compose the icons on the fly)
We lack a list of theses "icons elements", but for example, there will be a
"paper sheet".

Then there are "fallback icons", which are the ones
IconKit provides if the developer doesn't provide its own, and which are
usually composited based on generic icons and application icons.

Yes.

 And when talking about all icons you can get out of IconKit, no matter
whether they're standard or fallback, one would just talk about "IconKit
icons".

Yes. Or system icons.

 Oh, and then there'd be "override icons", which are icons provided by
the developer to replace a fallback icon. I.e. if GNUMail provides an
icon for its .mbox files, that's an override icon, while if GNUMail just
lets IconKit generate an icon, that would be a fallback icon.

 Does that help for future conversations?

we'll see :-)
but anyway it's perhaps clearer now.

--
Nicolas Roard