Re: GNUMail icons.

From: M. Uli Kusterer
Subject: Re: GNUMail icons.
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 06:46:43 +0200

In article <mailman.2461.1093297952.2011.discuss-gnustep@gnu.org>,
 Banlu Kemiyatorn <object@gmail.com> wrote:

> Here's the list of icons for GNUMail I've been working on.
>
> http://maliwan.sourceforge.net/gnumailforillustep/
>
> Suggestions, opinions are welcome and needed.

 I love the icons. I already commented on most of your older ones back
on GNUMail, but I want to say that I love the new ones. Especially the
new 'mailboxes' icon looks absolutely gorgeous!

 Just one idea: Could you maybe draw an opened variant of that mailbox
with some letters coming out for "get mail"? I could imagine that'd work
quite nicely.

 I also like your style a lot. It is a nice mix of the old NeXTstep icon
style, the later "Rhapsody" icon style Apple had, with just a tad of
Aqua's style as well.

> Since I've changed my style to use oblique dimension and some
> neccessary outlines,
> it could be an issue that these may not  perfectly match Quentin and
> Rio's icon guideline
> recently posted to the discuss-gnustep list although I actually really want
> support them. Another problem is that GNUMail also running on Aqua
> so it may end up with no solution else but making 2 sets of icons, that is
> fine.

 Yeah, some of the icons aren't frontal, but since most of those refer
to mailboxes, I wouldn't consider them as breaking the guidelines. of
course, the IconKit guys may think differently. They would constitute a
rather liberal interpretation of the guidelines, I guess.

 PS - Having been reminded of you "m4d ic0n d3sign3r skillz" ... I'd
really love seeing you do an icon set for GNUstep itself. I'm aware that
this would be a lot of work, and I can't guarantee anyone else but me
will like or even use them, but after seeing your folder icons, I'd like
to see how you'd tackle all those other icons...

Cheers,
-- Uli
http://www.zathras.de