Re: the gnustep wreckage. Part 1: windowmaker and user apps

From: Uli Kusterer
Subject: Re: the gnustep wreckage. Part 1: windowmaker and user apps
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 20:18:00 +0100

In article <mailman.3902.1100879672.8225.discuss-gnustep@gnu.org>,
 Enrico Sersale <enrico@imago.ro> wrote:

> In this perspective, the existence of all the helper apps is easy
> understandable:
>
> both the apps needs file operations.
> both the apps needs an Inspector.
> both the apps needs a Finder and will use its File Annotations and Live
> Search Folders.
> both the apps use fswatcher, thumbnailer, etc...

 I have the creeping feeling that I originally encouraged the splitting
of Inspector into a separate app way back when it came up ... it had
something to do with allowing people to choose a different file manager
or desktop, right?

 So, what's keeping us from just taking one step and making those
frameworks? I.e. there'd be

   Desktop.framework
   GWorkspace.framework
   Inspector.framework

and then there'd be a Workspace.app, which would simply load these
frameworks. That would avoid the entire issue of having to kill the
apps, it would not cause any excess dock tiles for what is essentially a
window of the main app, and since they're still separate frameworks,
it'd still be possible to replace the GWorkspace.framework with another
framework which, say, implemented a different file browser GUI a la
Finder or Bob, or whatever.

 All that would be needed would be a simple protocol that defines the
minimal set of methods that an inspector, workspace, or desktop has to
implement.

 Even if there are reasons against these I've overlooked, I wouldn't
advise integrating the desktop into the window manager. Even Apple,
whose desktop/Finder/Dock combo is an almost incestuous design where
half the things that should be done elsewhere are actually done by the
dock (making it pretty much impossible to replace the dock on a Mac),
don't do that. The desktop is actually just a transparent window created
by the Finder on top of the actual desktop background.

 Now, admittedly X11 doesn't widely support transparency for windows
yet, but I think it'd be better to have one host app that loads
frameworks. Even if just for stability's sake. Otherwise, when the
desktop crashes, it'd pull down all the user's windows... wouldn't it?

Cheers,
-- M. Uli Kusterer
http://www.zathras.de