Re: GUI without X11 / Artist Help

From: Pablo Di Noto
Subject: Re: GUI without X11 / Artist Help
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 13:00:06 -0300

Hello Jesse,

My question is this... how do I start a GUI session without using X11? I installed both the xlib and art backends, and was able to use startx to get the xlib environment running, but is there an alternative way to get a GUI without using startx? Isn't using startx relying on X, and not solely on libart?

As far as I can tell, you cannot use GNUstep GUI without X11 so far.

Backends could be better described as x11/xlib and x11/libart; The former is the most portable of the entire GNUstep environment, the latter is the one with most development and nicer looks.

I have read on the list that there are efforts for cairo and directfb backends, but no release yet. Also I heard there is an effort to make GNUstep "be the window manager", which I guess will be a step on the "get rid of X11" direction once directfb is available.

Hope I was clear and accurate. If not, please correct me so we all learn a little bit more.

Also, I'd be interested in helping the project out graphically -- I know that Jasper is already working on the icons, but I did a few comps of the required icons to show you the quality and style of my work (Keep in mind, these were done over two days, so the smaller icons aren't fully cleaned up yet).
http://www.jesseross.com/clients/icons/

Well, never a better time to offer help with that. I'm sure the right people on the list will jump to answer this!

Regards,
///Pablo