Re: [Gnustep-ui] Desktops, Components and Roles

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Gnustep-ui] Desktops, Components and Roles
Date: 11 Feb 2005 00:56:00 GMT

"Jesse Ross" <jesse@jesseross.com> wrote:
> Not only that, but having a unified project will making marketing a
> gazillion times easier.

Is it much harder to market "It's GNUstep WhateverDesktop"
rather than "It's GNUstep"?

Using marketing to suggest merging projects when they have
different aims seems rather like the tail trying to wag the dog.
It's even harder to market GNUstep if/when key projects like
desktops fail. Can we support the projects without bossing them?

> > [...] (and to be blunt,
> > there's probably some kind of "I want to do whatever I want in my
> > corner"-power-thing that plays too). I would be happy if all the people
> > involved will prove me wrong ;-)
> I think this is kind of unavoidable given the nature of open source.

If you have such a low opinion of developers, it is probably
going to be a little difficult to persuade them.

--
MJR/slef
My opinion rather than any group I know