Re: Re: Look and Feel

From: jhclouse
Subject: Re: Re: Look and Feel
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 22:09:44 +0000

<<No. The default look won't be "ditched".>>

...snip...

<<That said, the default look is not set in stone.>>

Which is it?  Will we change the default look or not?  This is not clear.

Personally, I think you should at least *think about* changing the default look
when Jesse finishes his theme.  You could then have a Camaelon theme for the
old NeXT look.  People who want the NeXT look can use it.  Everything
distributed to the public at large will have Jesse's look.

Another possibility would be to distribute Camaelon with GNUstep and make sure
the Camaelon Preference panel is the *first thing* the user sees.  Otherwise,
most people will install it, take one look, and ditch it.

Look at it this way: the convenience factor should go to the largest number of
people.  The general computing public contains vast numbers of people, almost
all of whom will want the new look.  The GNUstep community itself consists of a
handful of people who like the NeXT look.

On the numbers, the default look should be modernized with the minority who
like NeXT doing a *little bit* of work (preferably, Camaelon should become part
of the GNUstep distribution itself).