Re: Installer UI advices

From: M. Uli Kusterer
Subject: Re: Installer UI advices
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 13:55:13 +0100

On 2005-03-16 15:50:10 +0000 M. Uli Kusterer <Witness.of.TeachText@gmx.net> wrote:

At 10:27 Uhr +0100 16.03.2005, Benoit wrote:
It's far more easy to unmount the disk image than to erase a decompressed archive.

Not really. On MacOS, you just drag both to the trash.

Well, using a DMG you need to drag one file, using an archive you would need to trash the archive and the decompressed contents of it. This could be avoided with some support for archives at the desktop level though, as you said previously.

Same using a DMG, just that there you drag the disk image file and the mounted volume to the trash.

If this would be an imporvement over archives is open to discussion (and I must agree with you that I don't think that, again given appropriate support, DMG's hold any advantage over archives), but the concept itself is doable.

Yes, it *can* be done, no objection there. But it *shouldn't* be done. Too many additional points of failure, too many OS differences between mounting volumes on different Linuxes/Unixes. I'm just trying to get across that we want to stick with archives, because they hold no advantage over MacOS's DMGs.

Archives, OTOH, just take one self-contained archive unpacking tool. No messing with mount-points, no apps that have to talk together.
--
Cheers,
M. Uli Kusterer