Re: ComboBox in TableView no longer works

From: Quentin Mathé
Subject: Re: ComboBox in TableView no longer works
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 11:31:35 +0200

Le 6 juin 05 à 15:00, Fred Kiefer a écrit :

Quentin Mathé wrote:

Le 24 mai 05 à 20:08, Andreas Höschler a écrit :

I don't remember precisely the whole story now. But IIRC I would say combo boxes never worked in table view, because table view had and still has a broken cell support. However in June 2004 Fred committed a patch which improved combo box and a bit cell support in table view, then combo boxes inside table view seemed to work in some special cases. Later I discovered standalone combo boxes weren't usable anymore, this issue was the result of Fred's patch. When I tracked the bug origin, I came to this conclusion : to have both standalone and embedded combo boxes working would involve rewriting table view cell support (very complicated task). That's why I decided it was better to support first standalone combo boxes and not embedded until I or somebody may find some time to fix cell support in table view.

Hi Quentin,

surely everybody agrees that the cell support in table view is broken and has been since it was implemented. But as far as I remember basic combo box behaviour was working stand alone and in table views. What broke it was another change in table view, done for totally different reason.

ok. As I said, I wasn't exactly sure about my statements.

Currently Matt Rice is proposing patches to correct the behaviour of the table view, which look very promissing. Perhaps you could join in on testing and reviewing them. I am sure we get that sorted out for the next GNUstep release.

That would be nice. I'm looking at Matt's patches right now.

The bad news is that similar clean-ups are also needed for NSMatrix and all the other classes handling more than one cell. But we will get there.

True, moreover NSCell is not yet completely fixed (I hope to clean and improve the related patch I submitted previously).

Quentin.

--
Quentin Mathé
qmathe@club-internet.fr