Re: deployment issues on windows

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: deployment issues on windows
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 12:25:05 +0100 (BST)

> > OK, I know, I have the source....
> > Anyway let me explain the problem and maybe someone could show me a
> > quick fix.
> >
> > It seems that all GNUstep based application need to be deployed
> > is GNUstep's DLLs, plus to set the environment variable:
> > GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT
> > to point to a directory containing the content of <GNUstep>/System
> >
> > so far so good.
>
> This isn't the whole story:
> a) GNUstep supports a configuration file, so you could have built to look for
> the conf file in the same dir as the app.

Nice ... so you could install multiple GNUstep apps from multiple vendors
(with different configs and libs) and not get a conflict. :-)

So that sounds like the perfect solution to build a standalone Windows
binary application that you can ship (a bit fat, I imagine, as a binary to
send, but well) ?

Anyone cares to document the exact steps required to create a standalone
Windows application binary that can be shipped ? :-)

I suspect this is probably one of the top questions from Windows
developers.

I'll maybe try next time I reboot under Windows ([un]fortunately, might be
days/weeks from now). ;-)

Thanks