Re: Problem building gnustep-gui-0.10.0

From: Richard Stonehouse
Subject: Re: Problem building gnustep-gui-0.10.0
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 14:07:44 +0100

On Thu, Aug 18, 2005 at 02:38:51AM +0100, Richard Stonehouse wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 06:06:43PM +0300, Enrico Sersale wrote:
> > On 2005-08-17 17:06:38 +0300 Richard Stonehouse <richard@rstonehouse.co.uk>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 02:40:45AM +0300, Enrico Sersale wrote:
> [...]
> > >
> > >Thanks, Enrico. I'm willing - where and how do I get it and what do I
> > >do with it? As a non-programmer, I need step-by-step instructions!
> >
> > It's on CVS. I've commited it yesterday.
> >
> > ><snip>
>
> OK, I've applied the gsnd 1.9 -> 1.10 patch and rebuilt gnustep-gui.
> Using the portaudio v19 released with SuSE 9.3.
>
> The GWorkspace Contents inspector now plays sounds just fine and the
> sound server doesn't go into a loop.
>
> However, I notice one small oddity: the first time I play the sound it
> creates a file in my home directory called alsaout.raw (size: 0
> bytes). So long as I leave that file in place, GWorkspace can continue
> to play sounds. But if I delete it, sounds will no longer play. If I
> quit and restart GWorkspace then we're back to the beginning - playing
> the sound works and creates another alsaout.raw.

I've now identified the cause of this problem as ... erm ... user
error (a configuration setting in .asoundrc). My apologies if it
caused any concern - hope you didn't waste any time over it.

So, as far as I'm concerned, the sound support in gnustep-gui using
portaudio is fine. It works both with the version of portaudio in the
SuSE 9.3 release and with the latest snapshot that you pointed me to.

> Also tried GNUMail - although I set this up to play a sound on
> receiving mail, it didn't. Further investigation needed.

Still unsolved but I'm not too much bothered about it.

--
    Richard Stonehouse