Re: Time to communicate

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: Time to communicate
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 11:56:33 -0400

On Oct 4, 2005, at 5:56 AM, Dennis Leeuw wrote:

The problem at my work is the enormous amount of communication means people want to use: Chat, mail, shared calendar, VoIP, video conferencing etc.

We as the IT team have a very hard time maintaining security, apps and the like just to keep the users happy (note: this is a social company, so the word 'no' does not exist).

While GNUstep already has GNUmail, TalkSoup, a calendar and Addresses it would be nice if it could be turned into a suite with a VoIP app and some video conferencing abilities.
But the point is if I could propose a system that has integrated the features needed by our users, in a secure way (irc and not msn, iax and not rtp, GNUmail and not outlook, etc.) that would help a lot.

One single communication suite which can be highly integrated (e- mail address for e-mail and VoIP, E-mail with appointment connected to calendar, contact info in Addresses linked to everything, etc.) then I think I could sell it in the organisation. First GNUstep + suite on Windows and who knows.

This is a noble goal, however even aside from the basic work for GNUstep-on-Windows (anyone gotten Emacs.app running there, BTW? ;) don't underestimate the amount of work needed to bring existing apps up to a professional level. For example, even in the relatively huge Gnome project with Ximian pumping in venture capital, they had to practically kill themselves to deliver Evolution. Those necessary things in business environments like MS Exchange compatibility take a lot of effort.

Now, maybe if you can sell an in-house development team on the idea of just doing hardening work on existing GNUstep apps _without_ adding new features...