Re: porting

From: Chuck Robey
Subject: Re: porting
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 21:55:24 -0400

Helge Hess wrote:

On 5. Okt 2005, at 17:33 Uhr, Armando Di Cianno wrote:

WRT GNUstep, I've had varying luck with both, possibly leaning toward
the sentiment that ffcall is more stable than libffi (again, wrt
GNUstep).

Isn't libffi included in GCC? What about using the one coming with the compiler, this is probably best maintained and a dependency is removed?

You're guessing here ...

The facts as I've been able to determine them so far are, to my own inspection:

1) libffi not ported to Zaurus using OpenBSD. It has been ported to the Linux implementation of Zaurus, but not yet any of the BSD's.

2) In my own investigation, the LInux stuff is extremely unstable, far far less stable than OpenBSD. I have been running OpenBSD in the last 60 days, and it's just a nicer platform so far. Things like power suspend, and various uisb stuff, work well. The onboard compiler is stable. Porting extra gcc pieces will be a part of this porting task.

2) the README file in the libffi seems to be everything that I could ask for, as far as programming notes to assist my porting job, so as to get OpenBSD to work with libffi (the one in gcc, yes).

3) I heard on the net that the ffcall libs are better documented. If so, I haven't yet seen this to be true.

4) I asked folks for any solid reason why ffcall might be prefereable to libffi, but (disappointingly) I only got replies of the type "in my opinion, it was more stable". No comparisons of API, nothing concrete. I've just about decided to port libffi, and will in the net day or so, unless this email garners something important to change my mind.

Greets,
  Helge