Re: [OT, Q] Fast RPC library?

From: Sungjin Chun
Subject: Re: [OT, Q] Fast RPC library?
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 10:55:39 +0900

On Oct 24, 2005, at 8:31 PM, Helge Hess wrote:
Is this an "account server" (managing passwd like data) or an "accounting server" (managing eg call traffic)? Are the 10K transactions just for password checks or full account retrieval? In the former case you might also consider just using HTTP basic authentication, this will reduce the payloads to HTTP headers specified in standard HTTP.\

First case. Actually this is kind of middleware between NSS(Name Service Switch) and MySQL Repository Cluster. so, when 'getpwnam' like function is called, one RPC occurs.

Assuming that those script clients are not the primary traffic generators (and therefore do not require the 10K RPCs), maybe XML- RPC as an _additional_ protocol might make sense? I suppose moving your existing binary protocol clients/servers to be byte ordering sensitive should be much easier than to switch everything to a XML-RPC?

XML-RPC is one of several choices. I think text-based, fast encoding/ decoding will be best choice and XML-RPC is one of them(though the speed is not that fast).

Anyway, I think sufficient OT suggestions have been made to close the thread :-) But I would be very interested with your final choice and also with runtime timings you have done (what RPC/s with what technology, etc).

Currently I have 2 ideas.

1. Hybrid like your suggestion: Binary Protocol + XML-RPC.
2. Forget text part. Just use binary protocol but portable things like XDR(like in ONC RPC).

I'm evaluating several test cases.

Thanks.