Re: [Etoile-dev] Re: Io language for StepTalk on Cocoa

From: Stefan Urbanek
Subject: Re: [Etoile-dev] Re: Io language for StepTalk on Cocoa
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 09:56:05 +0200

Citát Quentin Mathé <gnustep-quentin@club-internet.fr>:

> Le 25 mai 06 ŕ 12:03, Nicolas Roard a écrit :
>
> > On 5/25/06, Yen-Ju Chen <yjchenx@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> O.K. This one works on GNUstep, but is not tested with StepTalking
> >> on GNUstep.
> >> It also creates a tool 'io_objc' to use directly without StepTalk.
> >> After compilation, use 'obj/io_objc test_gnustep.io' on GNUstep
> >> or 'obj/io_objc test_cocoa.io' on mac.
> >> There are still some glitches here and there, though.
> >> And GNUmakefile needs modification for you system.
> >>
> >> That is pretty much all I will do for now.
> >> Feel free to make it better.
> >> Have fun.
> >
> > Really cool ! io_objc works fine on gnustep. Impressive !
> > in StepTalk it seems to be broken though (seems a problem not saving
> > the context)
>
> Good news, I can give up on my buggy old version :-).
>
> It works very well. Excellent work ! I got it working with StepTalk
> (GNUstep) properly yesterday. I hacked IoLanguageEngine to have
> Io_State kept value in an ivar. This way between each call to -
> interpretScript:inContext: the context is maintained. The correct way
> to do it would be to store Io_State in STContext instance I think.

How it works? Do you need some language-engine specific configuration to be
saved into the STContext in a special way (different to context's variables)?
If yes, would it be thread safe - when two threads will be acessing the same
(parent)context?

Btw. how it is with bridging Objective-C objects with io? Is it only isolated io
computation engine or can I pass objects in and out?

Is it possible to implement STEngine createMethod:... for the io language?

> As a side note, I have been unable to load AppKit environment with
> StepTalk, either stexec or stshell (using the flag -env AppKit).

What error are you getting?

Regards,

Stefan Urbanek
--
http://stefan.agentfarms.net

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then
you win.
- Mahatma Gandhi