Re: really attracting developers

From: Nikolaus Waxweiler
Subject: Re: really attracting developers
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 18:22:06 +0200

CAPTCHAs would lock more people out: http://www.w3.org/TR/turingtest/
A captcha is just one solution of many. The URL you referenced contains alternate methods like logic puzzles.

Mediawiki's markup is not html (known by web authors), not autogsdoc or
texinfo (used for current GS docs) and not wiki TextFormattingRules.
Having to keep open a quick-reference guide is a poor substitute.
You can use HTML, plus the most commonly used markup is simple to remember. I looked at http://www.usemod.com/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?TextFormattingRules and the markup seems to be similar.

By 'The web API documentation', I meant the copies on www.gnustep.org -
I have no access to mediawiki.gnustep.org and think it requires human
copy-paste to update.
Yes, I was thinking about a script that automatically updates the wiki API documentation, but.. yeah, it might be better to use the wiki as a place for general information about classes, code snippets, tricks, etc.

So let's kill mediawiki and the appdb and start them again as parts of www.
You're proposing to leave everything as it currently is :P

Yes, there are some guides and videos, but not *enough* for new
user-developers and particularly not enough for other system developers.
Referring them to Cocoa books seems unhelpful: GNUstep doesn't implement
it all and some things are done different.
GNUstep and Cocoa share the same ideas and concepts. Unless you use Mac OS X specific things such as CoreAnimation, the differences are negligible or at least manageable.