Re: really attracting developers

From: Nikolaus Waxweiler
Subject: Re: really attracting developers
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 18:43:57 +0200

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 14:16:30 +0200, MJ Ray <mjr@phonecoop.coop> wrote:

You've answered your own question.  The wiki is not good enough yet,
"underattended and stumpy".
Erm, moving as much stuff as possible to the wiki was my answer to the "underattended and stumpy" issue. Etoile and other projects like the Beep Media Player also use a wiki as the main homepage.

No, they can't. Mediawiki has some login system that locks people out and a strange markup which discourages old c2.com WikiFarmers like me.
Yes, I noticed the global page protection already and am still waiting for write-access. Other methods for fighting spam bots, like captcha codes on registration (or maybe on every edit), should lower the entry bar enough to get more people to contribute. And please, "strange markup" is no argument, Mediawiki's markup is quite simple and there are quick references if you need them.

The web API documentation is currently synchronised.
No, not really. Just look at http://mediawiki.gnustep.org/index.php/AppKit and http://mediawiki.gnustep.org/index.php/Foundation. They consist mostly of red links.

It seems like it could be fairly easy make the main site searchable
without search engines, if that's something which people want.  It's
just not been a terribly high priority.
Maybe, but it would be easier to just have everything in the same place.

3. other sites seem to break their inbound links so often that it's hard
to keep a working set of links on www.gnustep.org
Just pull the interesting stuff into the wiki :P.

Then, there aren't enough easy-to-use practical guides to creating new
applications for either gnustep users getting started with development,
or non-obJC developers from other systems (Perl, Python, Ruby,
Lisps..., or the distribution packagers) looking to help GNUstep.
There are several introductory guides and even a few videos iirc. If newbies or developers want a more in-depth look at GNUstep, they can get Cocoa books.