Re: GWorkspace for Newcomers

From: silverd
Subject: Re: GWorkspace for Newcomers
Date: 2 Oct 2006 22:18:49 -0700

> I have tried to install GWorkspace (is this the replacement of Window
> Maker ???) but was not at all successful:

No it's not a replacement. One is for moving the windows around.
The other is moving the files around.

> There are question-marks regarding the procedure itself:
> 1- one must install GNUstep firstly (no problem, if you find
>    out from where, what level and howto)

If you have Debian or FreeBSD it's easy. Otherwise it's easy too,
from source.

>  - it says to access "svn co http://svn ....... why?? how??
>    what do I do after having read the list ??

Compile it? Read the build manual? But if you don't know, stick
with a software distribution that has it packaged for you.

> 2- after this you need the PDFKit framework. You do what with
>    this? ./configure make install ?? or before you must do
>    GNUsteps ??

Same answer as above.

> 3- after that you download "System Preferences" from the
>    GNUstep-References (wow - how do I do that?)
>    and having it downloaded - I do ./configure etc. no (!)
>    I must do this different - as it says in the NOTES

Same answer as above.

> 4- and then you go to Mr. Google to find out what to do
>    after it errors - a Belgium site helps here out:
>    ", /usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh"
>    is needed.

This is documented as well.

> 5- After about 6 hours of seraching and installing its all
>    there . no errors. great

At least :)

> 6- But what now?? It doesnt start-up automatic, its not
>    registered as an application. Its not in the list of
>    desktops. Its nowhere.

It's installed, how should it know where to register?
What do you have?

> 7- when you find out it just wants "openapp GWorkspace.app"
>    you are wrong again: "openapp" is unknown.

Did you source GNUstep.(?)sh ?

> Well, well. I am not sure what the goal and priorities are. But when the
> doc says, it is stable, then someone must have succeeded in installing it.

Of course, I've been using it several years now.

> Maybe you can furnish me a location where I can get installation
> guidelines or download a singel rpm which would solve most of the troubles.

Aha RPM, but still we don't know which.

> Many thanks in advance and cheers, walt

Yours,