Re: compile error: /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lAddressView

From: Zhang Weiwu
Subject: Re: compile error: /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lAddressView
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 11:20:05 +0800

于 Tue, 26 Jun 2007 11:24:28 -0700
"Yen-Ju Chen" <yjchenx@gmail.com> 写道:

> On 6/26/07, Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu@realss.com> wrote:
> > Dear all
> >
> > In order to experience the latest development of gnustep I decided
> > (follow suggestion on this list) to compile it myself, on my Ubuntu
> > 7.04
> >
> > Basic packages compile & install just fine without any error
> > message nor complains. I used GNUStep Startup package collection
> > which install 4 basic packages for me all together.
> >
> > Then compile gnumail, not surprisingly it asked for Pantomime, so
> > grab the latest source package from Pantomime website and installed
> > it. Then gnumail complain lack of Addresses. Also get the latest
> > version from website (0.4.6) and this time I cannot compile
> > Addresses.
> >
> > Type "make" end up with this error message:
> > Making all for app AddressManager...
> >  Linking app AddressManager ...
> > /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lAddressView
> > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> > make[2]: *** [AddressManager.app/./AddressManager] Error 1
> > make[1]: *** [AddressManager.all.app.variables] Error 2
> > make[1]: Leaving directory
> > `/home/zhangweiwu/Desktop/Addresses-0.4.6/AddressManager' make: ***
> > [internal-all] Error 2
> >
> > Looks like I am lacking something called AddressView. I do find a
> > package on Ubuntu called libaddressview-dev but having it installed
> > doesn't help (I guess ubuntu simply installed libaddressview-dev to
> > the wrong path because base packages are compiled by myself which
> > might be located in /usr/local/lib/GNUStep )
> >
> > I try to look for a package called addressview or libaddressview on
> > gnustep.org website, nothing found. Also not so much reference of
> > such package exist on the web.
> >
> > So where do I go from here?
>
>   Addresses is now hosted in GAP (http://www.nongnu.org/gap/).
>   It may work out of box.
>   There is another copy in Etoile, which should also work,
>   but it is split into framework and application part.
>   You can get it with
>   'svn co
> http://svn.gna.org/svn/etoile/stable/Etoile/Frameworks/AddressesKit'
> 'svn co
> http://svn.gna.org/svn/etoile/stable/Etoile/Services/User/AddressManager`
> (Check the path in case I misspell it).

It seems I need to checkout whole of etoile tree before I can compile
AddressKit/AddressManager which I am doing because
http://svn.gna.org/svn/etoile/etolie.make (and perhaps others) is
needed to compile AddressKit.

I am just a bit curious why there is etoile project because the other
GNU project "GNOME" host all base library, application, documentation
and frameworks together in one project website. Is etoile also a GNU
project or a project outside of GNU? Just curious because this doesn't
seems to be mentioned on the website.