Re: Gorm in Gnome - Screenshots

From: Nicolas Roard
Subject: Re: Gorm in Gnome - Screenshots
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 17:27:36 +0000

On Nov 13, 2007 5:07 PM, Mark Grice <markjoel60@gmail.com> wrote:
> I hope this isn't spamming... but here are three screenshots that I
> hope shows what I mean. First two were easy, since I could use the
> screenshot utility... third one is digital camera, but I hope you can
> tell what it is showing...

Oh ... it looks like what you have is GWorkspace  --  so no crashes,
everything works fine...
What happens is that when ProjectCenter wants to open the gorm file,
it calls the proper NSWorkspace method to do so.
That method is supposed to check which app is in charge for the type
of file you want to open.

The problem here is that if GWorkspace is installed, it establishes
itself as the one in charge for choosing which app should be run.

So... 1/ you are in ProjectCenter 2/ you double click on the gorm file
3/ ProjectCenter ask gnustep to open the file 4/ gworkspace is
installed, so nsworkspace launch it to deal with that request 5/
gworkspace is launched and is supposed to launch gorm (which it does,
as there is a Gorm icon on the bottom left of your screen)

The only gotcha ? well, it looks like you have the Background set in
GWorkspace, and that takes all the screen estate, thereby hiding your
Gnome desktop. Tell tale that you are very very likely to still be
running with gnome ? you still have the compositer in action (the
shadows are present on windows).

So... when you do that and get that screen, just go in GWorkspace
preference and uncheck the use of the Background -- that should do the
trick. That or deinstalling GWorkspace.

Personally I really dislike this tendency of GW to launch itself like
that, but hey.

--
Nicolas Roard