Building new Slackare packages

From: Stefan Bidigaray
Subject: Building new Slackare packages
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2008 10:40:23 -0500

As some of you might remember, I've been building Slackware packages for the core GNUstep libraries and applications for a few releases now.  I kind of slacked off the past few months since I had to move to another state and have a new job... time has been scarce.

More to the point, I went ahead and successfully built some packages yesterday and installation was a breeze, but applications are behaving the way they should.  I'm not sure if this is a problem with the manner in which the packages were built--that is, I made some mistaken when building them (wouldn't be the first time)--or if there are deeper problems.  I'm going to quickly describe the issues here and would appreciate if the devs could let me know if it's something I did:

1) Art backend doesn't work with 16 bit depth.  All I get are white (blank) windows, controls still work using keyboard short cuts (tested with Ink.app and hitting <ctrl>-n to create a new document).  Switching to 24 bit depth fixes the issue.  I thought I read something about this a few weeks back, but now I can't find anything relating to this issue.

2) "Bad Window" message when I start an GWorkspace.  Doesn't seem to have any adverse affects on the operation of the GWorkspace.

3) GWorkspace crashes whenever I try "Choose" the default "Editor" application, as soon as I hit the "Choose" button GW crashes.

4) GWorkspace does not build without sqlite3 because it forces GWMetadata to be built.  This is somewhat annoying since Slackware doesn't ship with SQLite.  What I had to do was delete the configure script in GWMetadata's folder and then proceed.  There should be a way to turn this off.

5) SystemPreferences.app does not "Quit".  Hitting the "Quit" menu button simply brings the application back to the home window, but doesn't close it.  No error messages, it just simply doesn't quit.  It I hit "Logout" in GWorkspace (which should close all applications then close GW) it closes all apps but SystemPreferences and doesn't close GW since it's waiting for SP to close.

6) I decided to try Vespucci (the web browser) and links do not work, I can't click on anything.  I just want to make sure this is the current state of Vespucci and SWK and not a possible error I made when building.

This is all in a default Slackware 12.1 and the latest, stable GNUstep libraries.

Thanks
Stefan