Re: ./configure --with-installation-domain

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: ./configure --with-installation-domain
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 11:27:23 +0000

On 7 Jan 2009, at 11:14, David Ayers wrote:

Am Dienstag, den 06.01.2009, 17:55 +0000 schrieb Nicola Pero:
On 6 Jan 2009, at 17:50, Pete French wrote:

No, the whole point of the changes is so that a newbie gets stuff
installed where they expect, so we've altered things to install in
local domain by default when building from source, like every other
free software package out there.

Where exactly is the 'Local' domain in this case ? I hit
a pproblem yesterday where I configured with domainb system - whcih
fine, but tthen when I tried to build it toold me the domaisn didnt
match and re-ran configure/. I never managed toget it compiking
and ended up copying over and older tree. Slightly bewildered by it
to be honest...

Good point.  I suppose

 ./configure --with-installation-domain=xxx

should also add

to the GNUmakefiles.

To which GNUmakefiles?

How should a packager

a) configure [make,base,gui,back]
b) install [make,base,gui,back,gorm,project center]

so that the system packages end up in System yet the user installed
packages end up in Local?
Isn't that the scenario these changes are aimed at?

I haven't reviewed Nicola's latest changes to see what they do, but in the current release it's very simple...

A packager does:

make install

Users do:

make install