Re: GNUstep @ FOSDEM 2010 6th and 7th February 2010

From: Nicolas Roard
Subject: Re: GNUstep @ FOSDEM 2010 6th and 7th February 2010
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 13:47:52 +0100

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 11:01 PM, Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf
<lars.sonchocky-helldorf@hamburg.de> wrote:
> Since the dates for FOSDEM 2010 ( http://fosdem.org/2010/ ) are out, I
> thought we better start discussing this earlier than later so everybody has
> enough time to plan and we don't get in a hurry with deadlines and such.
>
> FOSDEM, the most developer-oriented Free and Opensource conference in
> Europe, is taking place in Brussels, Belgium on Saturday 6 and Sunday 7
> February 2010.
>
> I have set up a wiki page for this:
> http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/FOSDEM_2010
>
> My questions now are:
>
> - Are you going to attend? (if so please enter your name in the FOSDEM 2010
> wiki page or if you don't have a wiki account reply to this mail so I can
> enter your name)

done.. :)

> - What are we planning for FOSDEM? Will we apply for a dev-room again and/or
> for a stand? (for a dev-room we would need speakers, a stand needs more
> manpower to operate than the dev-room (all the time at least two to three
> people must be at the stand and since nobody can be there all the time so we
> need way more than that))

I think we may just not ask for the stand this year... just ask for a
dev-room. And only do a few talks (i.e., "State of GNUstep 2010") and
keep hacking the rest of the time.
Put posters pointing to the dev room in the hallway, and that's it!

That way we'll hopefully do some good work while we are all together.
A few talks could be interesting, but no more than that -- the feeling
I got from the last fosdems I attended was that we would take a lot of
time preparing for the stand, organizing talks, but there weren't that
much interest overall. So it seems to me our efforts would be better
spent hacking together...

> - If we apply for a dev-room and/or stand will we do a joint application of
> GNUstep/Étoilé/OpenGroupware.org like last year or does somebody have
> objections? (Helge? ;-))

no objections!