Re: libobjc2 release?

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: libobjc2 release?
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 15:06:40 +0000

On 15 Mar 2010, at 15:03, Pete French wrote:

>> The current build system uses GNUstep make, but it doesn't depend
>> directly on any features of GNUstep.  The FreeBSD guys expressed some
>> interest in building it without GNUstep Make, so I plan on creating a
>> standard POSIX Makefile for it eventually, but it's not right at the top
>> of my list of priorities.  If you feel like contributing one then I'll
>> happily commit it and keep it up to date...
>
> This interesting me a lot, being a FreeBSD person too :-) But in that
> cause perseumably what you are interested in is a Makefile which can
> be dropped into the /usr/src tree under BSD so that this can replace
> the libobjc which is currently installed as standard, is that right ?

libobjc2 is GPL3 + runtime exception, and the current policy for FreeBSD is no
GPLv3 stuff in base at all.  It is most likely that sometime around FreeBSD 9,
libobjc will be removed from the base system entirely (nothing in the base
system uses it, so it's not a huge loss) and people using ObjC stuff will just
install their favourite runtime from ports.

> That would be nice though, as I wouldnt then have to worry about making
> sure I was getting libobjc2 instead of the system libobjc! WIll take
> a look when I get a spare 5 minutes...

Something that works with BSD Make as well as GNU Make would be ideal, as it
could then be put in a port without dependencies on GNU make, GNUstep make, and
so on.

David

-- Sent from my Difference Engine