Re: Renaissance - GSMarkupLocalizableStrings - Error

From: Paul Chany
Subject: Re: Renaissance - GSMarkupLocalizableStrings - Error
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2010 09:02:06 +0200

Hi Nicola,

Nicola Pero <nicola.pero@meta-innovation.com> writes:

> make_strings does not support gsmarkup files.
>
> Renaissance does contain code to extract them, as shown by the
> GSMarkupLocalizableStrings.app in renaissance/Tools/, which will
> extract all the localizable strings from a .gsmarkup file, but there
> is no ready-to-use tools such as make_strings.

I tried it out but get message: Problem posting notification

 $ openapp GSMarkupLocalizableStrings LPT_Interface.gsmarkup
2010-07-11 08:30:15.984 GSMarkupLocalizableStrings[2240]
Problem posting notification: <NSException: 0x985f458>
NAME:NSInvalidArgumentException
REASON:NSBundle(class) does not recognize
localizableStringsInGSMarkupFile: INFO:(nil)

and here GSMarkupLocalizableStrings.app hangs so I hit:
^C

What cause this problem? Here is the attached gsmarkup file:

> We could either extend GSMarkupLocalizableStrings.app to generate and
> manage the localizable strings files in the same way
> as make_strings does, or ideally to avoid duplicating all of the
> make_strings code in there, we could modify make_strings so
> that you can plug in a Renaissance bundle/extension that will allow it
> to extract localizable strings from a .gsmarkup file ?

> Unfortunately, that means you'd need gnustep-base's make_strings on
> Apple as well, so I guess maybe we do need to duplicate
> the functionality to have a cross-platform tool to manage localizable
> strings ? :-(

If I understand right, that cross-platform tool should be the
GSMarkupLocalizableStrings.app?

I think that GSMarkupLocalizableStrings should extract localizable
strings only from the .gsmarkup files, generating the approppriate names
for .gsmarkup files, eg.
openapp GSMarkupLocalizableStrings LPT_Interface.gsmarkup
should create LPT_Interface.strings file automatically.

Moreover, GSMarkupLocalizableStrings should have a possibility to do
this not only with one but with more than one gsmarkup files at once:

openapp GSMarkupLocalizableStrings File1.gsmarkup File2.gsmarkup

should create File1.strings File2.strings files.

So I think we could extend GSMarkupLocalizableStrings.app to generate
and manage the localizable strings files in the same way as make_strings
does. But I'm a novice in Objective-C programming. I understand the
philosophy of Objective Programming: Classes, Instances, Inheritance,
etc. but don't have skills to use those in Objective-C language.

Don't you think I'm not competent for this task?

--
Regards,
Paul Chany