Re: GUI API reference for gnuStep

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: GUI API reference for gnuStep
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 19:00:40 +0100

Hi,
WindowMaker is currently the most apt windowmanager to give you a
complete NeXT-like experience, it is very light and works
fine. Actually, it is even advisable to disable some features of
WindowMaker if you want to use the GNUstep corresponding ones.
I'm a happy user of WindowMaker and want to use GNUstep with it.
I wish to integrate those two (WindowMaker and GNUstep) as much as
possible.

Which features are advisable to disable in the case mentioned above?

There is some overlap between WindowMaker and GWorkspace features: the dock, the tabbed shelf, the Clip and the "Fiend". They don't do exactly the same and the GWorkspace counterparts work only with GNustep apps or sometimes their wrappers. Play with which you like best. Currently I disable GWorkspace's dock, although of course it has the important capability of interacting with documents like the Mac counterpart. About the Clip / Fiend I am undecided, I don't use that feature much and I even disable both sometimes.

Riccardo