Re: Some general questions

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: Some general questions
Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 00:24:48 +0200 (CEST)

> Basically, as of right now, it is easiest to have the IDE running in the
> environment
> that it intends to develop for (Target).
>
> As for the IDE, it is proprietary and runs on Mac OS X, and builds
> Cocoa/Cocoa Touch
> applications. Seeing as the GNUstep framework is so similar, I hope to port
> it over.
> As I start to port the software over to GNUstep, I am sure that I will find
> differences between Cocoa and GNUstep, and I will definitely try my best to
> report
> bugs, differences, and contribute to fixing things.
>
> Thank you guys for your insight and suggestions. I greatly appreciate it.
>
> Last question: What is the linux/unix distribution/flavor most favored by
> GNUstep
> developers? (I am hoping not windows).

I'm not sure there is a specific one. ;-)

I'd recommend to start with a free Unix-type distribution (such as Ubuntu
GNU/Linux,
some other GNU/Linux distribution, OpenBSD or similar) because these are the
most tested
and you'll get the least amount of trouble.  If you have issues, they will
mostly be
due to API incompatibilities with Apple.

Windows is more difficult, but once things work on GNU/Linux etc. they should
work on
Windows as well if they rely on the public API.  I do recommend not to start
with
Windows. ;-)

Between the various free Unix-type operating system, I'm not sure what to
recommend
other than picking what you like.  But other people may (or indeed, will) have
recommendations to make. :-)

Thanks