Re: NSZone pointers

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: NSZone pointers
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 12:24:34 +0100

On 21 Jul 2011, at 23:26, Stefan Bidi wrote:

> Just wondering... how's CoreFoundation affected by this?  CFAllocators
> (NSZone's equivalent) is everywhere.  Does it also get disregarded?  I've
> been overlooking CFAllocator for a while now, so I would prefer if it wasn't
> used at all, too.

On OS X, NSZone and CFAllocator are not the same.  NSZone is something
inherited from NeXT.  CFAllocator is a C version of std::allocator from C++.
CF structures that use allocators store their own reference to them, although I
wouldn't be surprised if some of the toll-free bridged versions don't bother
and always use malloc().

David