Re: API diffs

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: API diffs
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 16:58:49 +0100

On 23 Jul 2011, at 14:41, Quentin Mathé wrote:

> Le 21 juil. 2011 à 11:34, David Chisnall a écrit :
>
>> Hi Everyone,
>>
>> Just in case you've not see this already, this release Apple has published
>> diffs against the last set of APIs, so it's easy to see what was added
>> across an entire framework with 10.7:
>>
>> http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#releasenotes/General/MacOSXLionAPIDiffs/index.html%23//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40010630
>>
>> Lots of new AppKit stuff, and a little bit of new Foundation stuff.
>
> The NSOrderedSet, NSJSONSerialization are welcome additions.

NSOrderedSet would be trivial to implement in Objective-C++ with std::map<> (in
fact, I wouldn't be surprised if that's how Apple implements it).  Since we're
not allowed to use Objective-C++ in base, it will be a bit trickier.

I've just committed an implementation of NSJSONSerialization.  Please test it -
I've committed some tests for the NSData API, but the NSStream API is not well
tested at all.

> The NSLinguisticTagger looks promising too.

Yup, although it depends on some other things that we don't have (I added stubs
for the bits that NSRegularExpression needs, but this would be worth doing
properly).

> But my favorite additions is the layout constraint support in the AppKit… I
> have been waiting this feature for ages.

Yes, should make localisation easier.

> The other thing I really appreciate is that dragging sessions are now clearly
> reified, until now it was hard to take control precisely over the dragging
> (this gave me some headaches for EtoileUI).
>
> It looks like there are some interesting small additions to NSResponder.

These mostly seem to be syncing with UIKit.  AppKit now should support a
superset of the interaction models that UIKit supports.

> And it's good to see that the view-support has been added to NSTableView and
> NSOutlineView :-)

Yes, I wonder a bit if it would be worth rewriting NSTableView to always use
views (and use NSControl where NSCell is used), rather than try to integrate
views into the existing stuff.

David

-- Sent from my Apple II