Re: Please remove NFMake from GNA

From: Gerold Rupprecht
Subject: Re: Please remove NFMake from GNA
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 13:44:51 +0200

On Sun, 2011-10-09 at 12:36 -0500, Karl Kraft wrote:

> On Oct 9, 2011, at 10:17 , Gerold Rupprecht wrote:
>

> > I am the father of two children. I have separated from their mom. I
> > cannot simply ask for my children to disappear...  You have given
> > birth
> > to a project, and made it available to all as per the FSF licenses.
>

> Yes, but how would you feel about a third party renaming your
> children, and airbrushing history and then holding them out as their
> own progeny, denying you any rights?

Karl, I believed in good faith you had uploaded your software after
signing a copyright assignment to the FSF. I am unaware as to any
renaming of the software by anyone else. If someone had added the
license to the source code of the project files, it is to help you make
the application as user friendly as possible, stating the license,
whatever it is, on each source code file.

Under normal procedures, we make copyright assignment prior to our first
upload. If that is not the case, we have a problem. I believe, until
proven otherwise, that all contributors have worked on the project in
good faith. The default copyright for the GNUstep project has been
version 3 of the GPL for some time now.

As this seems to be a significant problem, I regret you did not bring it
to our attention earlier. I certainly feel your sense of anger and
frustration, however we cannot set back the hands of time.

As you know the situation better than I do, I ask you to please take
persons such as myself into consideration and propose a remedy we can
all live with, irrespective of your opinion of rms and the Free Software
Foundation.

I have a lot of respect for anyone writing software, no matter the
license. I respect even more people who share that software,
particularly under a free license. I respect the most, people who are
generous, kind and considerate, hopefully just as much as you.

Thanks,

Gerold Rupprecht

--
Gerold Rupprecht <geroldr@bluewin.ch>