Re: Building GNUstep from source - failed tests

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Building GNUstep from source - failed tests
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2013 11:49:48 +0000

On 12 Jan 2013, at 09:23, edwin ancaer wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I was looking for an interesting platform to refresh my programming skills.
> After looking around a while, it found GNUstep/Etoilé looking interesting.
>
> I've been building GNUstep following the instructions in 'Downloads:
> Installation instruction'  on the Etoilé website.
>
> Everything went fine I sucessfully built make, base, gui and back.
>
> However, when I ran the 'make check' for the base package, I got the
> following result:
>
>    7552 Passed tests
>      25 Failed tests
>      19 Dashed hopes
>       5 Skipped sets
>       1 Failed file
>
> Given the fact that ProjectCenter seems to be working fine, do I have to
> worry about this, or is it normal that some tasts fail?

No, it's not normal for any tests to fail.

All tests are supposed to pass on all platforms, (known platform specific
issues should be dealt with by skipped sets or dashed hopes).

So it's good to report and try to sort out any/every test failure.

In this case, if all the failures are to do with properties, it may not  be a
big issue for you ... properties are a new language feature recently introduced
by Apple, and are not used internally by GNUstep anywhere, so the fact that
property tests fail should not indicate any problem inside GNUstep itsself, but
might mean that you would have trouble if your own code tried to use properties.
Even if there's no problem for your code though, it would be good to sort out
why the tests are failing on your platform and fix things.

I'm not familiar with the compiler version issued related to properties (though
I guess the compiler version is what's relevant here) ... probably David
Chisnall can help here.