Re: Building GNUstep from source - failed tests

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Building GNUstep from source - failed tests
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2013 12:47:28 +0100

Hi Edwin,

On 18.01.2013 06:34, edwin ancaer wrote:
I admit I've got little experience in the unix environment, but it is a
little discouraging that after 2 weeks of trying to build gnustep/étoilé
have lead to nothing. Although I must admit I learned some things about
unix on the way.  Maybe this building is expert stuff...

I understand your frustration, but the way you put it is a bit hard. From your other mails I can tell that just a few days ago most of GNUstep was working for your. Now you got bitten by yet another bug in libobjc2 (that may or may not be already fixed). libobjc2 is itself very bleeding edge software. It does great things and is most likely the most advanced Objective-C runtime available anywhere. David is putting great efforts into it and if you, like me, are following the commits for this project, you would be quite impressed about the progress speed. This heavy amount of changes also means that things cannot get tested as much as other objc environments.

If you need a stable, working version of objc it may be best to go back to a released version of clang and libobjc2 or even to gcc. But if you want all the new features you will have to live with the new bugs as well. And be assured, David is rather fast in fixing them.

Fred