Re: OS's menu?

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: OS's menu?
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 23:51:46 +0200

Hi,

Lundberg, Johannes wrote:
Alright, thanks for the reply. So, basically Windows and OS X already supports it and Unity coming soon.

How about FreeBSD? Depends on the window manager I suppose but are there any options today?
There is no "operating system menu" on unix! Windows and OSX have their native stuff. On all the rest GNUstep usually supports a certain "user interface style" by drawing it itself. If you want something at the bottom, Pie menus.. amiga-style mouse-click menus (not so different from NeXT...( then you need to add it. But GS will draw it.

If the environment (I have only read about unity though) provides a system-wide support for that, you need to write your own code (possibly a thme like windows or possibly something dbus based) to "connect" to it.

Riccardo